The prototype of a bear pattern I'm drafting/designing - He's called Ronnie after my dad
Tuesday, 26 March 2013
Sunday, 24 March 2013
Saturday, 23 March 2013
Its little wonder it takes me so long to finish artworks when I start contemplating design decisions such as ribbon composition, I do prefer the angled ribbon layout though...
Friday, 22 March 2013
Thursday, 21 March 2013
I don't usually felt, its not my favourite use for wool ( though I do admire the felt creations of other practitioners/ artists) I prefer to spin with it. But I had some old felted samples and scraps of yarn cluttering up the studio so in the spirit of recycling I decided to make some felted beads...
Wednesday, 20 March 2013
Saturday, 16 March 2013
Friday, 15 March 2013
You may remember this post about a painting I started several years ago and always intended (road to hell etc) to finish yet never quite did. Well I still haven't finished it, but it has dramatically moved on from my last post...
I decided that the undertaking of finishing that big canvas was a little foolish on my part, the painting had past its moment and there were practical reasons to abandon it too.
So instead i've hatched a plan to complete the work in a different way:
Salvaging the sections of the painting I was most happy with (and discarding the remainder) and using them in a series of new mixed media works.
(featured above are two "in progress" shots of the salvaged sections)
Wednesday, 13 March 2013
Wednesday, 6 March 2013
|approx. 50 x 40cm|
As a change from rag rugging in the round I decided to attempt a square rug. I didn't quite get the tension/stitch ratio right however so the top of the rug is somewhat curved, lesson learnt for next time though...
Tuesday, 5 March 2013
In addition to creating paper based pieces to go inside the bottle caps, I'm exploring using fabric such as this denim. I may also embellish fabrics with embroidery or applique in later experiments.
Monday, 4 March 2013
Sunday, 3 March 2013
Saturday, 2 March 2013
The experimentations continue...
The biggest development in my bottle cap experiments is a switch from bending the cap edges in to bending them out. It is a more consistent method of "flattening" than in my previous experiments and I find it more visually striking.